Monday June 25, 2018: Drive to Rome

I left Lockport at 8:10 a.m. this morning and headed for Rome.  I got on the thruway at Pembroke and headed east.  I had already talked to Mary and she indicated that her plans were to leave Oneonta at noon, so I knew I had extra time.  Soooooooooooooo I stopped at the OLD ERIE CANAL HERITAGE PARK in Port Byron, NY.  I accessed it from the thruway.  You can see the remnants of the old locks
from the thruway in fact I stopped once a few years ago and walked around them.

I was there for longer than I planned because the two docents in the old restored tavern (Erie House) were so enthused and wanted to explain everything to me.  It is indeed impressive.  Most of what you see is original, a few things are reproductions.  There is also a blacksmith shop
and a mule shed.

I arrived at Mike's cottage at DELTA LAKE CONFERENCE CENTER around 1:45 I think.  Mary called around two and said she got held up and was leaving then.   She suggested that I take a nap, so I tried.  I also spent time cleaning...……….I don't think Janie has been to the cottage yet this year as the floors were very dirty.  I shook out rugs and swept and wiped down the fixtures in the bathroom.

Mary arrived around 4:30 or so and got settled in.  We decided to go to Remsen, NY to the SODA FOUNTAIN DINER for supper.  We used my TomTom and that was a mistake.  It took us up and down windy back roads, a couple of them were seasonal.  We DID see some beautiful scenery, though.



Supper was great...………….we both had prime rib, it was one of their specials.    We drove a different way home and went through an Amish area.  I stopped to take pictures of a schoolhouse.

We went into Rome to the Dollar General where I purchased a bathmat for the tub in the cottage.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUNDAY, December 11th, 2022 CONNECT CHRISTMAS LUNCHEON

Week of Sunday 9/10 through Saturday 9/16, 2023

Week Starting Sunday February 25th, 2024