Friday April 17th, 2020 SWEET POTATO and CARROT CASSEROLE

I spent some time cleaning one corner of my bedroom.  I pulled out the "blonde" dresser that I got at a garage sale in 2014.  I cleaned behind it and put it back.  I put one of the scarfs that I got in Israel on it an also one of the antique lamps that were Bob's mothers.   When her stuff was divided up, they were set aside for Christa and I hope she can take both of them someday.  I decided to make a recipe I cut out several days ago, for sweet potatoes and carrots in a brown sugar/raisin/butter/orange juice  done in the oven.
I had that with a slice of ham for lunch.   Here is the recipe:
  • 1/2 cup golden raisins
  • 3-1/2 pounds medium sweet potatoes (about 6 potatoes)
  • 4 large carrots, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces

  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup orange juice
    • Preheat oven to 375°. In a small bowl, cover raisins with hot water; let stand 30 minutes.
    • Place potatoes in a 6-qt. stockpot; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, just until tender, 15-20 minutes. Remove potatoes and cool slightly. Add carrots to same pot of boiling 

      water; cook, uncovered, until tender, 15-20 minutes; drain.
    • Peel sweet potatoes and cut crosswise into 1-1/2-in.-thick slices. Arrange potatoes and carrots in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, cut sides down.
    • Drain raisins. In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; stir in raisins. Add brown sugar and orange juice, stirring to dissolve sugar. Pour over vegetables.
    • Bake, uncovered, until heated through and sauce is bubbly, 25-30 minutes; if desired, baste occasionally with sauce. Let stand 10 minutes; toss before serving.



I made a half a batch, and I cooked the carrots and sweet potatoes together and I neglected to baste with the sauce and toss at the end.

Mary Ann called me a couple of times, she is back in Roswell, and had a platelet transfusion.

I finished watching the movie MOLL FLANDERS
on my laptop.  I love this movie.  I also finished reading WE ARE ALL THE SAME.
Betty was going to BJ's and offered to pick up a few items for me including a rotisserie chicken.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUNDAY, December 11th, 2022 CONNECT CHRISTMAS LUNCHEON

Week Starting Sunday February 25th, 2024

Week of Sunday, March 17th through Saturday, March 23rd, 2023