July 5th, 2020

In my dream, getting into church was a real hassle, with some strange man (doc maybe) breathing right into my face.  Then a lot of strangers in church, with very little social distancing.  However, I didn't even go to church today.

I tried to reach Mary Anne by phone about 8:15 a.m. and she did not answer.  I decided to go over and check on her.  She did not respond to my knocking on the door, so I let myself in.  I found that she had passed away in her sleep.  I called her friend Paula down the street and then I called 911 and Prudden and Kandt.  Paramedics arrived first and they called the Lockport police and the coroner.

In the meantime, I called Antoinette and asked her to call her niece Bianca in Connecticut.  Bianca and Mary Anne have been best friends since Bianca and her family came to the USA from Italy when Bianca was around 10.   I also called Barb (who was friends with MA in high school and they went to Bryant and Stratton together after high school).  Barb agreed to call the girls who Mary Anne had lunch with on Wednesdays for several years.  I called Kevin Layer and he and his wife came over.  After the coroner collected Mary Anne's medications (many), Andy from Prudden and Kandts took her body.  I agreed to go to P and K tomorrow at two p.m.to finalize funeral details.

Once I got home, I realized that I should make MANY phone calls.  MA's friend Alice in Arizona, her friend Elva Fritton (I called her son and asked him to call her).  Mary Anne's cousin in Middleport (he agreed to notify the other cousins).  A man I know who worked with her at the Niagara County Health Department (Jack Landrigan, who I also know from church).  Jack agreed to call the others who worked with them at the health department.

Peggy called and we talked for a bit.  Rita Layer posted this picture on facebook.  It is less than a year old since that is the new couch that Mary Ann purchased last July.    Obviously, this was before her first stroke.

I prepared myself some lunch and realized that I had a headache, so I laid down for a while.  While I was resting, Bonnie Burnett called so I called her back.  She said she will call the other "lunch ladies" with information about the funeral, etc.

In the evening, Betty and I took a short walk.  It is too hot out there for a long walk.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DAY EIGHT of Alaskan Cruise: Thursday, September 18, 2025 Skagway

Week of Sunday, August 10th through Saturday, August 16th, 2025 (Recipe for Crazy Crust Pie)

Wednesday, August 19, 2020