COLUMBUS DAY Adventure 10/12/20

 Yesterday in church, Betty showed me a brochure for Johnson Creek Farm.

When I got up this morning and checked AccuWeather I realized that it was going to be a very nice day.  I did not have any commitments, so I called Betty and asked her if she wanted to do something.  I suggested going to Lewiston to walk a trail at Art Park or going to Johnson Creek Farm and to Lyndonville to the Robin Hill Nature Preserve.  She said Lyndonville sounded good.  We decided to combine Robin Hill Nature Preserve with a stop at Millers Bulk Food Store on 104 as well as going to Johnson Creek Farm.  

We met up at 10:30 or so and I followed her to Millers.  We each purchased a sandwich and I got a few other items including a small pumpkin and a spaghetti squash.  Then we headed to Johnson Creek Farm.   Betty was leading and I was pretty sure that she was going way too far east, but she wasn't.  When we got to Johnson Creek Farm, I realized that I had been there before, with Pam when she and I rented the small cabin at Lighthouse Christian Camp in August of 2018.



It is a Amish farm stand and they offer a lot of vegetables, as well as fresh cut flowers and pumpkins and



 gourds.  I bought some beets, three pumpkin like gourds and something else, totaling five dollars.  We admired the long narrow flower garden along the side of the driveway to the farmhouse.  

Then we continued east to find the Carlton Cemetery where there is a geocache hidden.  We did not find it, but we enjoyed walking around this very nice cemetery. 


 


We had a picnic lunch at Lakeside Beach State Park.  It was pretty windy.  I took this picture as we were leaving.  


Then we headed back the way we came because Betty had seen a turkey farm on Town Line Road.  We found the farm and admired the turkeys which are being fattened up for Thanksgiving.


and checked out the farm stand which was another Amish place (Orchard View Farm) I purchased three yellow  squash for a mere dollar.  We visited with the Amish woman a bit.  




We were getting ready to leave when Betty noticed the fruit trees across the road.  They looked like apple trees but the fruit seemed to be more purple than red.  Betty saw some men working in the orchard and got the attention of one and asked about the fruit.  They turned out to be red delicious apples and the worker gave us each several apples  


From there we headed to Lyndonville and located ROBIN HILL NATURE SANCTUARY.  We enjoyed our short walk and saw some nice fall color.  



Betty said this was her first time in Lyndonville.  She remembers her grandfather talking about growing up there.  I suggested that she drive down Main Street in order to get a feel for what the Village of Lyndonville is like.    We both did that before heading back to Lockport.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EAGLE WATCH at the Iroquois National Wildlife Refuge and more: 2/1/2020

DAY EIGHT of Alaskan Cruise: Thursday, September 18, 2025 Skagway

October 20,2020