Friday, October 23rd, 2020 HIKING the SALT SPRING TRAIL near Barker, NY

 Because the weather forecasted for today was that it would be warm and sunny, Betty and I planned to do something outdoors.  She had to get the oil changed on her car and I had a stomach upset, so we got a bit of a late start, about 11:15.  We decided to meet at MILLERS and get sandwiches to take out for our lunch and then backtrack to Quaker Road and drive north to the area of the SALT SPRING.   I had found this hike several years ago when Chickie and I were out geocaching.

At Millers I bought a sandwich, a drink, chips, a small pie and some tapioca pudding.   Then Betty followed me to the trail.  We tailgated in the parking area.


(well kind of, there was no beer and no grilling) before setting out.  
It wasn't long before we got to the site of the geocache.  We wasted some time looking in the wrong area before finding the right spot.   Betty was surprised at how large this one was.
We continued on the trail.  When we got to the bridge that crosses the creek to the SALT SPRING, we decided not to cross it since it looked like it was not in very good condition.  So Betty missed out on seeing the actual spring.  Here is an old picture that I took in the spring of 2015 when Chickie and hiked this same trail. 
We saw some nice fall color. 






When I was taking my hiking boots off, I realized that the back part of the sole on one of them was coming off.   I told Betty that now I can justify getting a new pair of boots for hiking.  

After we were done with the hike, we split up.  I wanted to continue north and drive along the lake, and Betty wanted to head back to Lockport.   I had a feeling that Betty was not feeling top notch today, although she did not say anything about that.

I got on Route 18 and went to Olcott where I stopped at Krull Park to use the rest room.   There were quite a few people in the park, some of them were having picnics.   I walked to the bluff and took a few pictures.  



On the way home,  I stopped at the post office in Newfane and mailed a package to the Vermont Country Store. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUNDAY, December 11th, 2022 CONNECT CHRISTMAS LUNCHEON

Week of Sunday 9/10 through Saturday 9/16, 2023

Week Starting Sunday February 25th, 2024