BIRDING BY CAR at the refuge: Saturday, April 10th, 2021

 I met up with Betty and Cindi at the visitors center on Casey Road, at the Iroquois National Wildlife Refuge.  Several other people joined us.  The event was supposed to start at ten a.m. but the group leader did not show up.  Cindi started making phone calls, but Jan Beglinger arrived at about 10:20 a.m.  She had been waiting at the Cayuga Overlook and wondering where everyone else was until she figured out what the problem was.

First we walked part of the HEADQUARTERS TRAIL, that runs behind the visitors center. 





Then we got into our cars and followed her to MALLARD OVERLOOK, a spot that I had never been to before.  Jan said that a lot of people do not know about it.  At the corner where you turn to drive down to it, there is a sign saying DEAD END, which may make people change their minds about going down it.  





 Then we got back into our cars to go to the CAYUGA OVERLOOK where she set up her scope and we were all able to see the eagles and their nest!

From there, Betty, Cindi and I decided to go to the KANYOO TRAILhead and check out the feeder canal to see if the swans were there.  There was one, but it was quite far out.  Another birder had a scope set up and offered to let us look through it to see the CASPIAN TERN.    This picture came off of the internet.  

Another birder told us of a spot where we could see two Trumpeter Swans up close, so we drove to that spot, but the swans were not there.  So we decided to wrap it up and head home.  I stopped at the Town Hall in Royalton Center to eat half of the sandwich I had brought with me.  When I got home, I picked up branches in my back yard and put them out by the street to be picked up.  

After my nap, I worked on straightening the shelves between my living room and Carrie's bedroom.
I was able to throw a lot of papers away.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUNDAY, December 11th, 2022 CONNECT CHRISTMAS LUNCHEON

Week Starting Sunday February 25th, 2024

Week of Sunday, March 17th through Saturday, March 23rd, 2023