Wednesday, June 30th in Michigan (really in Shipshewana, Indiana)

 We didn't stay in Michigan today.  We had a light breakfast, and I took two ALEVE for the rib/shoulder pain, and it helped immensely.  Megan, Cassie and I headed south towards Indiana a little after nine a.m.  Our destination was Shipshewana.  It was a pleasant drive, with a bit of rain.  The first thing we did when we got there was go to the Visitors Center where we were welcomed and given information and recommendations.  

First we went to E & S Grocery, a combination regular grocery story and bulk food store.

                Cassy noticed these huge pieces of chocolate.  

We made some purchases and then went to the SHIPSHEWANA FLEA MARKET.  We were there for a couple of hours,  the weather cooperated with only a few misty raindrops. 





We made many purchases.  We had free samples of kettle corn, licorice and Italian ice.  I got tired after a while so waited in a picnic shelter while Megan and Cassandra continued shopping.  I purchased a Dr. Pepper with lots of ice, so I ended up only having a couple of ounces, but it really quenched my thirst. I found this rock on the counter where I got my Dr. Pepper: 


 Cassy returned with a huge lemonade.  Megan had found an interesting plant pot holder.    We were all hungry so we decided it was time for lunch.  

When we left the flea market, we headed to DAS DUTCHMAN ESSENHAUS in Middlebury which was six or seven miles out of Shipshewana.


  It turned out to be a HUGE resort type place with several buildings and shops.  We chose to order off of the menu instead of having the buffet.  We looked at it and it did not seem to offer much.    I had broasted chicken and coleslaw and potato salad.  

Then we headed back towards Shipshewana, but we turned off the main road to go to this place.


I really liked this place.  It appears that they sell the products that they produce (probably as well as others) and it appears to be Amish run.  Again, we had samples (of peanut butter spread), and made purchases.  They also had a large flower garden made to represent a quilt.  
which seems to be one of many in the area (a flower quilt trail?) but it is the only one we saw.  It woul be fun to go another time and follow the trail.  

We stopped at this Amish school so I could take a few pictures.  (PLAINVIEW SCHOOL)




We stopped at a creamery (I think it is the one I went to three years ago  We went to another "market" which did not seem as authentic as DUTCH COUNTRY MARKET and then headed back to the main drag in Shipshewana where we went to SHIPSHEWANA MEATS AND CHEESE (more purchases).  When I was paying for my items I asked the cashier if there was a good place to get a freshly made hot pretzel and she gave me three ideas.  We went to the one upstairs in the huge building right next door, and purchased pretzels and then purchased a couple more fried pies from this food truck

  and then we were on our way.  The pretzels were huge..........one was enough for the three of us and we took one back for Tyler.  

One more stop here which I think is back in Michigan.  None of us bought anything.  I noticed that gloves, masks and disinfecting wipes are REALLY cheap now. 
When we got back to the house, we had to sort through our bags and make sure each of us got our own stuff.  I should have taken a picture of all of it before we separated it out.  There was a lot.  

Chris fixed supper, fish (I think halibut), zucchini, pasta and toasted bread.  Everything was really good.  Megan and I split a fried pie for our desert (black raspberry), and it was good.  We watched a little bit of a new cooking show on TV.  

Megan and I agreed that it was a perfect day!!!!!    I would like to go to Shipshewana again, but mostly to drive the back roads a bit more and see the beautiful farms and look for one room schoolhouses.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUNDAY, December 11th, 2022 CONNECT CHRISTMAS LUNCHEON

Week Starting Sunday February 25th, 2024

Week of Sunday, March 17th through Saturday, March 23rd, 2023