Day Trip to Middleville, Ohio Amish Area with SCENIC NIAGARA (Saturday March 12, 2022) and Sunday March 13th

 The weather was not all that good with freezing rain and winds predicted for today, so I called the bus company first thing after I got up and Maria answered and said the trip was NOT cancelled. I took care of Petra really early today and then met up with Marlene at FREEDOM CHURCH and we headed out towards Eastern Hills Mall where we met up with our bus. 

The first thing we were told when we got on the bus was that we HAD to wear masks all the time while on the bus.  I noticed that this requirement kind of faded away as time went on. On the bus we introduced ourselves to Joan Meyer and the three of us hung out together during much the trip. 

The drive down went smoothly with one stop for a bathroom and snacks. I bought a banana which I thought I might want for the drive back to New York at the end of the day.

The bus also had a second pick up spot at a TOPS, I am not exactly sure where that was, and then we got on the thruway and headed to Ohio.  When we got to the Amish area, we stopped to pick up our guide Steve. 

He has lived in the area for his entire life and is friends and neighbors with many Amish people. He was happy to answer questions.  

    Our first stop in Geauga County was at the home of Mary Miller

and her family where we were served a light lunch of sandwiches, potato chips. cookies and drinks.  Mrs. Miller took the time to answer any questions we might have and allowed us to use her bathroom.  Here is one of her daughters working in the kitchen.
Mrs. Miller telling us about her life and answering questions.

Then we headed out for an afternoon of shopping.    We went to a cheese factory and shop


In the lobby of the cheese shop, they offered several historical displays.


I purchased a dark chocolate candy bar and a small loaf of Russian Rye bread.

Then to Nauvoo Country Market and Bakery:
It is not much to look at from the outside.  It is very much like Millers in Medina, but with a much larger bakery.

  Joan was really disappointed when they did not have any whole pies, but I think most everyone from the bus purchased a fried pie or two.  I purchased a black raspberry fried pie.  Our third and last stop was at Country Arts and Jewelry,

which is a very large gift shop specializing in jewelry.  Marlene bought two rings.  I bought ten very pretty beads for a dollar and a blue hanging prism.  While Marlene was looking at rings, I checked out an antique and collectible shop almost next door.  The Marketplace Mall.  

  I wish I had more time there; they had a ton of vintage items.   

I noticed that Marlene bought a lot of food items and that she was snacking continually while on the bus.  I was surprised that she was hungry enough for supper. 


Our tour guide and the bus driver became concerned about weather conditions we might encounter on the way back to New York, so we skipped the next stop at a farm market.  We returned to the Millers house for a typical wedding meal.  It was delicious:  real mashed potatoes and gravy, chicken, seven-layer salad,


peas in a cream sauce, and stuffing (they call it filling).   For dessert there was date pudding, raspberry cheese pie and coconut cream pie.  I tried small portions of all three.  

Then we hit the road.  We all had decided to skip the rest stop so that we could get back to New York as soon as possible.  We went through several different weather patterns including some high winds.  Our driver was so good.  We arrived at Eastern Hills Mall around nine p.m. and at Freedom Church a bit before nine thirty and I was home before ten p.m.   I had phone messages from Myrna and Peggy.

While watching TV and winding down from the day, I ate half of this huge donut that I bought at the Bulk Food Store.

Look at the size of this donut

All in all, it was a great day.  I would like to go back!

Here are the items I purchased at the COUNTRY ARTS AND JEWELRY STORE. These are beads, the large ones are probably more than a half inch across.  They are in a tiny wine glass, until I find a small bowl to put them in.  
This is a PRISM, according to the sign.  About an inch long, it is hanging in my living room now.



SUNDAY, March 13th.  I skipped church because I still felt worn out.  I changed the clocks to reflect daylight savings time. After I went over and took care of Petra, I visited Myrna and took her some of my goodies that I purchased yesterday.  We had a nice visit.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUNDAY, December 11th, 2022 CONNECT CHRISTMAS LUNCHEON

Week of Sunday 9/10 through Saturday 9/16, 2023

Week Starting Sunday February 25th, 2024