August 14th, 15th, 16th, 17th, 18th

Monday the 14th:  I had an appointment in Williamsville, for some sort of test regarding my ears.  It took well over an hour.  After that, I went to the HOPE PROJECT.  I found that they are closing that location and looking for a new spot.  I had lunch at FIRE HOUSE SUBS and then went to PAULA'S DONUTS (both in the same strip mall now). When I got home, I retrieved a message from Peg, so I called her back.  She told me the very sad news about Myrna.  While at her appointment yesterday, when she had a blood transfusion, they found out that her kidneys are shutting down and she was given 24 to 48 hours to live.  She was admitted to SISTERS HOSPITAL.  Pastor Craig was going to see her this afternoon, and Peg will go tomorrow after her staff meeting.  I asked if I can go with her and she said yes.  We are hoping that Ron and Vicky call tonight and let Peggy know how she is doing.  I took a short nap in my recliner, leaving the phone on, in case Peg called.  She did not.  I worked more on my pictures and blog, and a little bit of unpacking.  

Tuesday the 15th:  I talked to Peg in the morning before she left for work.  She will call me later on to let me know what time she will be leaving for SISTERS Hospital in Buffalo, in order to see Myrna.  I got a few things done around the house and she called and set 12:30 as the time to meet up.  Before that, I talked to Betty and she wanted to go with us, so the three of us met up at FREEDOM CHURCH.  Peg drove to Buffalo.  Myrna has a "hospice room" which has a very nice sitting area just outside of her room.  Her brother Greg was there, he slept there last night, her friend Darleen, and one of Myrna's nieces.  Peg, Betty and I stayed for over a half hour and prayed for and sang songs for Myrna.  She was semi-conscious, it seemed clear that she could hear us, but was not strong enough to open her eyes or speak.   Greg left shortly after we got there, but Darleen and the niece stayed.  The three of us (Peg, Betty and me) said our final goodbyes to Myrna and thanked her for being such a good friend and helping us to form great memories.  It was hard seeing her so incapacitated.  On the way to Buffalo, Peg mentioned the monthly spaghetti dinner at SOLID ROCK.  Betty googled it and found that it was taking place today BUT when we got there, the sign said next week and there was nobody at the church.  So, she and I had meat loaf dinner at LaPorts.  I am totally wiped out with all that has been going on with Jan, Myrna and Chris.  

Wednesday the 16th  I met up with Lori at the Niagara Produce in Amherst and we went to ECMC and visited with Jan.  We had a nice ninety minute or so visit.  Jan is upset because Kelly won't bring her purse in to her.  She wants her credit cards and her phone.  I told Jan that I kind of agree with not having her credit cards in the hospital since they could so easily get lost and stolen.  After the visit, Lori and I went to Trinity United Methodist Church on Niagara Falls Blvd. for a donation dinner of pizza, mac and cheese, baked beans, salad and desert.  It was very good.  We met an interesting woman who sat with us and talked a lot.  We never got her name.

After we left there, we went back to Niagara Produce.  I picked up a few items, including the rest of what I need to make a huge pot of baked beans for the funeral dinner for Chris Prawel.

I was exhausted when I got home, so I relaxed and watched an episode of SVU.  I called Kelly at nine p.m. and reported how well her Mom was doing today.  

THURSDAY the 17th:  My electricity went off at eight thirty a.m., just like the notice I found on my front door yesterday said it would.  I took the opportunity to stay home and take care of various paperwork tasks and read a little bit in this book:   


It came back on at 11:30, and I decided to put together the BAKED BEANS I agreed to make for the funeral dinner on Saturday.  They are all ready to bake, in the frig. (Chris Prawel's funeral).  I took a nap in the afternoon and found the movie THE IMPOSSIBLE
and watched it.  It is the true story of an American family who experienced the tsunami in Thailand in 2004.  I remember watching the TV reports in West Laurens on the day after Christmas, with Dad and Peggy.  I also posted some pictures from the RENAISSANCE FESTIVAL on facebook.  

Myrna seems to be holding on to life. Her granddaughter, Kayla, has posted several times on her FB page.  

I called Pam in the evening and asked her if she would like to go to the art exhibits tomorrow, one at the Kenan and the other at the History Center.  We agreed to meet at the History Center at 11:15 tomorrow.  

FRIDAY August 18th:  Peg called first thing in the morning to make sure I knew that Myrna had passed away.   In the morning, I showered and washed my hair and made a chocolate pie.  Later on,  I met up with Pam at the History Center so we could see the exhibit on Urban Renewal.   The intern who put the exhibit together, Jaycee Pauline, came down and talked with us. Jaycee is a senior at Niagara University, majoring in Art History with Museum Studies.   The exhibit was very interesting and it was interesting to meet Jaycee,



who was able to explain various details of the exhibit. 

Then we went over to the Kenan Center for the WOMEN ART AND TECHNOLOGY exhibit.  We were not able to see all of it, because the SPCA was setting up for an event tonight in that room. 


 We went to Burger King for lunch, using a coupon for two Whopper Jrs. and two medium fries.  The fries were especially good today. 

SATURDAY the 19th   I went to the farmers market in the morning,

mostly because it was such a beautiful morning and I knew I would be inside for several hours for the funeral and funeral dinner.



  I purchased a quart of tomatoes and a loaf of bread.  There was live music. 

!.!ut


I made myself a tomato sandwich for my lunch. I met Peggy over at the church at 1:20, with my huge pot of Sue and Gloria's Baked Beans.  Peg put me to work making cold cut and cheese trays.  I was having a rough time figuring that out but when Betty got there, she had a couple of good ideas, so she took over and I did other stuff.  We were in pretty good shape by the time the funeral started so we got to watch most of it.  There were a LOT of people there, Scott Pidanick counted three hundred.  We started to get nervous about possibly not having enough food, but a lot of people went home before the funeral meal.  We had sandwiches and sandwich makings, potato salad, goulash, mac and cheese, chips and pretzels and many, many deserts.  My baked beans were totally demolished.  We were there until around six thirty p.m. cleaning up.  I relaxed for the rest of the day.  I found the movie BIRDY and started watching it.  







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUNDAY, December 11th, 2022 CONNECT CHRISTMAS LUNCHEON

Week of Sunday 9/10 through Saturday 9/16, 2023

Week Starting Sunday February 25th, 2024