WEEK Starting Sunday April 7th 2023

 SUNDAY:  While I was in the shower, Becky called and left a message telling me that her half-brother, Roger passed away.  He was 87 years old and died in a nursing home, which he has been in for a couple of years.  I picked Jan up for church this morning.  Church was very good.  When it was over, I took Jan to PetSmart so she could get some cat food and then dropped her off at her place.  Then I went to THE OLIVE LEAF and had lunch with Marlene, Glenda, Marsha and her daughter Colleen. I had one of the specials: a "melt" with pulled pork and bacon and I think a slice of cheese, with fries  It was very good.  When I got home, I started my homework for Tuesday's LIFE GROUP and then took a nap.  When I got up I thought taking a walk outside might be good.  I called Betty but had to leave a message because she did not answer.  I decided to drive to OUTWATER PARK to check out the barriers that have been put up to keep tourists coming to see the eclipse from driving onto the grass.  It is a very weak barrier, only one strip of yellow police tape.  I parked and walked for a little more than fifteen minutes. Jan had left me three letters needing to be mailed, so I drove up to West Avenue and Hawley Street and mailed them. In the evening, I watched CALL THE MIDWIFE and a new show on PBS:  MR BATES vs THE POST OFFICE.  Peg called while I was watching MR. BATES and said Becky was wondering why I have not called her.  So I did call her around 9:20 p.m.   We talked for a long time, well I mostly listened to her.  She will try to find a picture of Roger so I can add it to the Niethe/Bowler Family Facebook page.  I was able to find MR BATES vs THE POST OFFICE on PBS, so I watched it after Becky hung up.

Monday April 8th:  In the morning, I worked on my homework for Life Group tomorrow.   I got my prescription from Rite Aid (the one that will close by the end of the month) and then went to get Jan in order to go to the Y.  We walked for a while before my class.  While I was in my class and completing my 35 minutes of walking, Jan was on the treadmill.  We ran into Salma and her daughter Sabba and talked a bit and I encouraged them to stay and experience the eclipse with us.  I don't know who made this picture that I saw on Facebook on the LOCKPORTIANS page.

  Salma said they couldn't since they are fasting (they are Muslims and it is Ramadan).  I told her there was not going to be any food involved, but they decided not to stay.  An employee of the Y was passing out eclipse glasses.  I suggested to Jan that we go to TOPs so she could pick up some PROPEL, so we did that and then returned to the Y to watch the eclipse.  There were maybe fifteen people there.  I took a few pictures.  Here we are waiting for the eclipse.  Jan must have snuck out of the group before I snapped the pic.  



  Unfortunately, it was too overcast to see the actual eclipse (the moon blocking out the light of the sun), but we did experience the complete change from light to dark.

Then I took Jan home.  I spent the rest of the day at home.  

TUESDAY:   I went to Life Group this morning.  It was a small group, I think there were seven of us.  Six of us (me, Cindi, Betty, Glenda, Karen and Donna) went to Kalamata's for lunch.  I had a wrap.  It was pretty good, but not good enough to order again.  I returned a call from Marlene when I got home, regarding she and I going to the BARKER SENIORS for a meeting, since we plan to go on a trip with them in September.  Also, Leslie called and we talked a bit.  She is getting rid of her landline phone since hers broke, and she will be using an Iphone now, but has the same old phone number.   I had not slept very good last night, so I laid down on the couch and had a good nap, I must have slept a bit more than a full hour!  

WEDNESDAY:  before going to my dermatologist appointment I dropped two bags of clothing off to the box behind church.  My appointment went well.  I then went to 2 Good 2 Be Through,

a thrift store that Glenda told me about.  I didn't buy anything.  Then I looked for HELEN'S KITCHEN a restaurant that Glenda has mentioned a few times, but I couldn't find it.  While looking, I saw CHILI'S so went there for lunch, which was good and inexpensive. I had the  Bacon Avocado Grilled Chicken which is Half sandwich with grilled chicken, bacon, swiss, avocado, sauteed onions, lettuce, tomato, mayo on a toasted buttery roll. Served with fries and a side salad came with it. After that, I went to the Y for my class.  It went well.  We are exchanging phone numbers and hoping to get together in the future to walk together.  After class I went home and rested a bit before I prepared myself some supper.  I went over to Betty's house at seven p.m. and we watched  INTO THE ARMS OF STRANGERS:  Stories of the Kindertransport.  It was good!  When I got home, I started the dishwasher and watched MIDNIGHT COWBOY on Hoopla.  

THURSDAY:  I woke up after a couple of hours of sleep and could not fall asleep again.  I decided to do some housework in the morning, in order to wear myself out and then take a REAL nap (in bed with the phone unplugged.  I found the movie ELMER GANTRY on TUBI (David recommended it) and watched it between tasks.  I was getting ready to take a nap when Dee called.  She was trying to reach Peggy.  We talked for twenty minutes or so.  She will be coming back to New York (from Tennessee, I think) on or about May 5th.   I had maybe an hour or hour and a half nap in the afternoon.  I got ready for the event tonight. 
 

Lori mentioned it last night and I registered the both of us for it.

  It was at the CENTER FOR JEWISH LIFE on Hopkins Road in Williamsville.  We arrived somewhat early, and a very friendly woman named Connie greeted us.  We found seats, and shortly after that a woman named Debby was looking for a seat, so I invited her to sit with us.

  She is SO friendly.  Her daughter Naomi lives in Tel Aviv.  They offered fresh fruit, vegetables, wine, lemonade, water and a few desert items. Connie led the event. 

Doing the craft was a lot of fun.  MANY various items were offered for our use to decorate our tambourines.  Friends of Debby (Shoshana and her daughter) joined us but did not stay very long.  The daughter was very anxious and decorated her tambourine really fast and said they had to get home. Here is a picture of my completed tambourine 
Unfortunately, it did not survive the ride home, and I need to do some repair work.  

FRIDAY the 12th:  I had my dental appointment in the morning, then went home and had lunch and laid down for a bit before going to the Y for the final WALK WITH EASE class. The class went well.  I have not improved my speed, though.  I walked the exact same number of laps in ten minutes today that I did a couple of weeks ago.  After that we were supposed to walk 25 minutes, but I think we all quit early.  We made sure that we all have each others phone numbers.  Either Colleen or Marie suggested we get together in a couple of weeks at Lake Effect Ice Cream.  After leaving the Y, I went to VALUE and purchased some ant traps for my bathroom.  I spent the rest of the day at home.

SATURDAY:  The group of people from a local church came this morning and raked part of my yard.  The back of my hard is quite wet and they could not get to it.  I decided to try making a custard pie, using an idea of David's.  I offered to take David and Peggy out for supper tonight at SHORT STREET BAR since it is fifty cent wing night.  They agreed.  They picked me up at 4:45 p.m.  Short Street is just a few minutes away from where I live.  On the way over, Peggy was reading us Amir Tsarfati's TELEGRAM, about Iran's attack on Israel.  I was disappointed to find out that they offer a very limited menu on Saturdays:  NO PIZZA, which I had been planning on having.  David ordered ten wings.  I had a bacon and tomato grilled cheese sandwich and Peg ordered a grilled chicken sandwich.  Our sandwiches were HUGE and came with a generous portion of potato chips and a large pickle.  Our bill came to a mere thirty dollars!!!  Which was good, since I was treating them for David's birthday in a couple of weeks.  We all liked our meal.  Then we came to my house for dessert.  The CUSTARD PIE turned out great, except next time I will increase the sugar.  David raved about it and had two pieces and took a piece home with him.  I started watching this British series on HOOPLA. 

I watched the first two episodes of Season (the British use the term series) One.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUNDAY, December 11th, 2022 CONNECT CHRISTMAS LUNCHEON

Week Starting Sunday February 25th, 2024

Week of Sunday, March 17th through Saturday, March 23rd, 2023