Outdooors Day with Betty: September 19, 2018 (First time on the Swallow Hollow Trail) and Royalton Ravine
Betty picked me up and we headed to the Royalton Ravine. Once there, we chose the red trail. It was not an easy hike...………..there are tons of huge tree roots, uphill and downhill areas and a rickety, swaying bridge. Here are some pictures:
there are lots of extensive root systems, some right across the trails
Betty on the swaying bridge.
a view of the trail ahead
I like the fifties look!
Using a map Betty picked up, we were able to find the Swallow Hollow Trail so we decided to walk that trail, which is very well maintained. The sign said it is l.3 miles, but it seemed like a lot more. Here are a few pictures I took:
there is boardwalk at the beginning and at the end
but much of the trail is like this (or somewhat narrower)
fall color
the wetland area is almost completely dried up except for these green slimy areas where there is a bit of water.
there are lots of extensive root systems, some right across the trails
Betty on the swaying bridge.
a view of the trail ahead
I watched for signs of fall color.
By the time we finished the hike and rested up a bit in one of the picnic pavilions, we were pretty hungry. We drove to Medina to see what was available and chose to have lunch at Meggie Moos.
I like the fifties look!
I cannot say we were thrilled with our grilled cheese sandwiches but the sweet potato fries were very good, and the service was good. Then we walked on Main Street a bit. We went into a bakery and Betty bought two cookies.
Then we hit the road a bit and drove a couple of back roads and ended up in the area of the Alabama swamps and the Iroquois National Wildlife Refuge. Betty had never been to the refuges visitors center so I suggested we check it out.
We were looking at some wild flowers outside of the Visitors Center when I spotted this butterfly.Using a map Betty picked up, we were able to find the Swallow Hollow Trail so we decided to walk that trail, which is very well maintained. The sign said it is l.3 miles, but it seemed like a lot more. Here are a few pictures I took:
there is boardwalk at the beginning and at the end
but much of the trail is like this (or somewhat narrower)
fall color
We were both pretty tired after we finished the trail, so we headed back to Lockport.
It was a great day!!!!!
Comments
Post a Comment