CITY OF LIGHTS: The Chapel at Crosspoint

A couple of weeks ago, Peg asked me if I wanted to go to this event at the Chapel at Crosspoint (in Getzville).
and I said "sure".   I met up with Peg and David at their house a few minutes before 12:30.   Peggy was cooking a chicken/vegetable stir fry and said she wanted to send some home with me after we got back from the event.    It looked so good that I suggested we have it for lunch before leaving instead of stopping at a fast food place on the way to the Chapel.  David said he was not hungry and could wait until after the event.  So, I cooked up some instant rice and Peggy and I had her stir fry for lunch.  It was delicious!!!!!

We headed out for Getzville and arrived early, which turned out to be a good thing.  The event was described like this;  

A NOSTALGIC EVENING ON MAIN STREET

Journey through a classic time in Buffalo's heritage. Be swept away in a nostalgic evening on Main Street with shops of old, a whimsical train ride, a breathtaking Christmas tree lighting, and a movie premiere like no other. 
We were among the first group to start our tour through 1947 Buffalo.  It started with viewing some old slides of sites in Buffalo.

 and then we entered the "time machine".  Newsboys were giving out 1947 newspapers.
There was an old fashioned barber shop.


We ran into Gail and Bob and Bob's sister.  Bob refused to have his picture taken but here are Gail and her sister in law.  I think her name is Laurie.
Two old department stores in Buffalo which I vaguely remember were portrayed.  Hengerer's and AM and A's.  


Anderson's was giving out small dishes of ice cream.   Freddie's Donuts (a donut shop on Main Street in Buffalo which I vaguely recall was giving out donut holes.  

There was a bank
and a theatre
And there was live entertainment:
including Ella Fitzgerald
and the Christmas tree was lit.
Then we went into the Worship Center  (which was made up like Shea's) where there was a short play and some clips from the movie IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE.    It was very good.


All in all, it was a really neat thing to experience.  

We went out for supper at a SUBWAY in Lockport.  I had the meatball sub, which was good, but kind of messy.  Then we stopped at Walmart and then back to their house.  I left immediately since the rain had turned to snow and the roads were starting to get messy.    

Once home, I settled in to watch THE SOUND OF MUSIC.  
I also talked to Mary Anne on the phone, who seems to be doing better than she was a few days ago when I took her to the hospital.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUNDAY, December 11th, 2022 CONNECT CHRISTMAS LUNCHEON

Week of Sunday 9/10 through Saturday 9/16, 2023

Week Starting Sunday February 25th, 2024