Tuesday, March 30th, 2021 Life Group, etc.

 I went to the LADIES LIFE GROUP at Freedom South this morning.  There were nine or ten of us there, and it was a good gathering with lots of good discussion.  Unfortunately, we got some bad news about fifteen minutes before the group ended.  Pastor Ben came down to tell us that Diane Fritton had passed away.  I knew her, but not really well.  At times, she was part of this Life Group and I had worked with her in the kitchen a couple of times for various events.  She had been battling cancer and complications from that for a few years.  She died peacefully and her family was able to be with her.  

I realized how beautiful it was outside when I left the church, so I called Paula and asked her if she wanted to meet me at the refuge.  She said she couldn't since she had to pick her brother up from work.  He hit two deer a few weeks ago and totaled his car and has not yet purchased a new one.  

I picked up lunch at BK and went home and ate.  I decided to go upstairs and start cleaning the upstairs apartment.  When we had insulation added in December of 2019, the workers pulled a lot of stuff out of the attic and much of it was spread out in the kitchen, including several old radios, and lots of other items.  I completed cleaning the living room and kitchen and they look pretty good.  The bathroom just needs the floor swept and a few items put away.  The bedroom might need a bit more than that.

Peggy called to remind me of her Life Group on Thursday and asked if I can help with the funeral meal for Diane.  I agreed.  

In the evening, I went over my documents for my income tax appointment tomorrow.  I watched the two hour documentary on PBS THE AMERICAN EXPERIENCE: THE BLINDING OF ISAAC WOODARD. 

Isaac Woodard Jr. (March 18, 1919 – September 23, 1992) was a decorated African-American World War II veteran. On February 12, 1946, hours after being honorably discharged from the United States Army, he was attacked while still in uniform by South Carolina police as he was taking a bus home. The attack and his injuries sparked national outrage and galvanized the civil rights movement in the United States.

I had never heard this true story before. This photo is in THE PUBLIC DOMAIN.

President Truman was very brave!  He confronted racism.  Judge Waring and his wife were also very brave, they did the right thing which was also the hardest thing.  Thurgood Marshall risked his life.  South Carolina was a terribly racist state.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUNDAY, December 11th, 2022 CONNECT CHRISTMAS LUNCHEON

Week Starting Sunday February 25th, 2024

Week of Sunday, March 17th through Saturday, March 23rd, 2023