Week of Sunday June 18 through Saturday the 24th

 SUNDAY:  Church was good this morning, we had a guest speaker (Carol Ball) since Pastor Craig and family are away due to a death in the family.  After church, I helped pass out Fathers Day gifts to the fathers.  Then Betty, Marlene and I went out for a slice of pizza at Mark's.  I went home and rested for a few hours and then went over to visit Myrna.  I took her some baked beans and we had a nice visit.

MONDAY:  Jan came over to my house and I drove us to the house of Heidi, a woman in our church who had expressed to Peggy that she needs help getting ready for her upcoming move to Florida.  We had a tiny bit of trouble locating her house, so arrived a few minutes late.  Heidi told us her story and why she is moving.  We helped her sort through stuff in her basement into two groups, one the stuff she will put into her pod, and two stuff she will be putting in her garage sale this upcoming weekend.  We were there for a couple of hours.  On the way back to my house, we stopped by Elaine's house and visited with her for a few minutes.  When we got back to my house, we moved a bookcase from the back of my car to her car. One that Heidi had given her.  I told Jan that I was thinking of going to Reid's for a quick lunch and she agreed to meet me there.  I fixed myself a cold drink (subtly sweet, iced tea) to take with me.  It was a really nice day to be eat outside.  I had a white hot with sauce and french fries with sauce.  Then I went home and took a nap and listened to some of the SEVEN DEADLY SINNERS podcasts that Megan wants me to listen to.

EPISODE 6  I had not heard about this:

Hosanna Church in Ponchatoula, Louisiana   leaders in the Youth Hall.  Jody P.(Blood in the ______)  wrote a novel inspired by this church.  1980s and 90s many claims of satanic abuse of small children in day care centers example McMartin trials, which were proved to be false.  Cattle slain, owner thought a neighbors dog did it.  2005 scandal.  sexual abuse of kids. Pastor Louis LaMonica Jr. confessed to abusing kids sexually as well as  animal sacrifice  and bestiality.      congregation dwindled  to a dozen odd people.     Don Wahl, assistant DA  said DEVIL WORSHIP was disturbing.  

Anyways, I already know about most of the scandals within the religious or Christian community across the USA.  I guess they are news to Megan and it is probably a lot to take in.  I had read and heard about the scandals at different times over the years, not all at once.  

Linda Porter called me in the evening.  She told me what happened to her on New Years Eve 2022.  She accidentally drove her car into the pond at Neahwa Park in Oneonta.  She was taken to Fox Hospital for hypothermia, and got an infection.  She is having a hard time working due to her arthritis and age (69) but there is nobody to take care of her client who lives in Nader Towers.  

TUESDAY the 20th.   After Life Group this morning, we all (I think there were eleven of us) went to the home of Pat Peiler on Locust Street.  Cindi, Betty, Lori, Glenda, Dee, Karen, Vicky, Mary, Sue,  Donna, Marlene 


      Pat and her husband live in a beautiful three-story building that at one time was used as a parsonage for the church next door (First English Lutheran).  I think their long-term objective is to turn it into an Airbnb.   The house has a huge front porch, lots of original woodwork, many fireplaces and chandeliers and I could go on and on.  Lunch was a meal with ALL plant-based foods.  It was kind of bland, but I know it was healthy.  After lunch, Cindi led us in some worship songs.  I left kind of early, because I was feeling tired.  I had a nap and when I got up, it was time to go to the library for the LITTLE ART GALLERY project. The two leaders (interns) did not do very well, in my opinion.  All they did was pass out materials at the beginning, without giving any instructions or ideas, but at the end they did briefly explain that our little paintings will be put on display in the glass cabinets on the second floor.    I did these two.

and Jan did this one:  
Megan and I talked on the phone for a while in the evening.  


WEDNESDAY:   I tried again to get hold of Heidi, to see if she wanted Jan and I to come over for a couple  of hours today to help her with packing and sorting.  She did not return my calls.  Jan arrived at ten fifteen or so and I told her that and suggested that we take a drive to Millers.  She said yes, so we went to Millers.  I bought several items including a sandwich.  Jan had a small ice cream cone and bought some chocolate.  After that, we continued east on 104 to find the store called THRIFTY that I had a brochure for.  Unfortunately, we found that it is closed on Wednesdays. I have been there before but I think it had a different name then.  It is a gift and home decor store.  We decided to drive further east to go to the little used book store associated with the Cobblestone Museum.


  We both looked at the books but did not buy any.  We spent some time in the gift shop looking at items and talking with the woman who runs it.  On the way back (driving west) towards Lockport, I saw a sign pointing to Lyndonville, and I remembered ROBIN HILL NATURE PRESERVE, so I decided to show it to Jan.  I didn't remember exactly how to find it, but I figured it out.  I parked and we walked the first (very short) path to Smith's Lake and I took a few pictures.  I have loved this tree since the first time I saw it.





and then we drove a bit on back roads in Lyndonville.  We saw this horse:  
I drove north and turned onto 18.  I saw Becky's truck at THE BARNYARD so we stopped.  She was just finishing up her shift.  I bought cold drinks for Jan and I and we split a donut.  The donut was made by the owner, but it was VERY greasy. I took some pictures of Becky to send to Scott. 

 Then we continued back to Lockport.  It was a great day, but somewhat tiring, probably because it was very hot.

THURSDAY:  Peg came over late morning and I helped her load metal into her car and we took it to a
LOCK CITY METALS on West Avenue.



















She got over thirty dollars so we decided to go out to lunch.  We tried Applebees but obviously they were short staffed, and after waiting several minutes to be seated, we decided on the FIELDSTONE.  We sat out on the patio.  I had a REUBEN sandwich and the soup and salad bar. In the afternoon, I rested.  I went to WIDEWATERS

at six p.m. to meet up with Lori for the old cars and live music.  However, she did not show up and I left at 6:25.  When I got home, I found that she had msg'd me that she would be late and was on her way.  I msg'd back that I did not want to go back out, but if she wanted to come over here to my place, we could play a game or two and she agreed to that.  When she arrived, she realized she did not have much time until she would have to go pick up Branden from work.  I asked her if she had eaten and she said she had not, so I offered to make grilled sandwiches for us.  We had a nice supper of grilled cheese sandwiches, chips, strawberries and iced tea.  I fixed her a take out cup of iced tea to take with her.  I watched MIRACLE CHILDREN OF THE AMAZON in the evening, the story of the four children (including an eleven month old baby) survived in the jungle after the plane they were in crashed and her mother and the other adults died.  They survived for forty days before they were rescued.

FRIDAY: Pam and I decided to meet up at the Kenan Center for the watercolors exhibit. 

I called Mary and asked her if she wanted to join Pam and I and she said yes, and she called Cindi and invited her.  Before going to the Kenan, I went over to Maurice's to see if I could find a top that I saw advertised on FB.  I did not find one, but I did find another shirt, a white T-Shirt with red and blue stars on it, for only five dollars.  I delivered some items to the Good Will and also went in and looked around.  Then I went to the Kenan Center and met up with Pam, Cindi and Mary.  We had a nice time viewing the paintings and talking.  On the way home, I stopped at SUBWAY and used a coupon to get a small sub andthen at Niagara Produce and purchased a few items.  I rested in the afternoon and then met up with Pam and Lori at ROCK THE LOCKS. 


It started raining about a half our into the live music (Pop Rocks), so I suggested we all go to my house and order a pizza.  We ordered a pizza from SHORT STREET PATIO BAR and Pam and I went to pick it up while Lori waited here. We had pizza, cherries and maple cookies, and sat around the table and talked for a long time.  

SATURDAY the 24th;  I decided to stay home today and get a few things done.  I made a macaroni salad to take to the picnic tomorrow and I sliced carrots and put them in my small crockpot with some dried cranberries and I covered it all with apple cider.  I did a couple of organizational tasks.  Peggy came over to work in the garage.  In the early evening, I decided to go see Carrie at her new home.  I also got gas while I was out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUNDAY, December 11th, 2022 CONNECT CHRISTMAS LUNCHEON

Week Starting Sunday February 25th, 2024

Week of Sunday, March 17th through Saturday, March 23rd, 2023