Week of Sunday, August 9th through Saturday August 15th, 2026

 SUNDAY the 9th:  I did not go to church today because I didn't think I could handle three things in a row:  church, family reunion at Judy's house and the free concert tonight.  I watched the service on YouTube.  I met up with David and Peggy at their house and we drove my car over to Judy's place.  It was just a couple of minutes past one p.m. but several people were there.  The weather was perfect.   The spread of food was really good, but I brought a lot of my four bean salad home.  Now, I know who the Robinsons are.  They are grandchildren (and probably some great grandchildren) of my grandfather Frederick Otto Niethe's sister.  She married a Robinson.  I really didn't get to meet all of them.  Peggy, David and I may have been the first to leave because Peggy and I had plans to go to the Jewish Center on Hopkins Road for a concert.  We took David home and then met up with Lori at the Y.  Andrea changed her mind about going.  The concert was nice, the three Jewish guys are very talented.


  The venue was a bit different from what I expected.  Behind the rows of seats there were tables and chairs and along the far side (from the entrance to the room) there was a long table with prepared, packaged food, burgers, hot dogs, fries, etc.  Peggy had something to eat, but Lori and I skipped it.  I didn't see anything that interested me and Lori said the prices were high.  We did not stay for the entire concert.  

MONDAY:  I had my appointment with the sleep specialist (Megan) today and she asked me a lot of questions and said that I qualify for one of the mouth devices to help with sleep apnea.  My transportation was provided by Kate Groves, who I have not seen in several years, probably 2021.  She is a great lady and I enjoy her company.  We got caught up with each other.I spent the rest of the day at home and did not accomplish a whole lot.  I boxed up my gloves, hats and scarves (for my future move).  I called the Y in Westfield and left a message asking for confirmation that they will put a cot in our room for when Marlene, Andrea and I arrive on the 17th.  I texted Marlene a list of upcoming activities.   I called my dentist office to ask if he might be able to prescribe my oral device.  I saw a brochure in his office about them a while back, so I think he might.  His receptionist, Renee, said he will try to find out. I contacted Megan on Facebook.  Unfortunately, she and Chris were in the ER last night because he was in pain.  Tyler is settled back in Alabama.  His internship in Iowa went great and he loved it there and is thinking about applying for his Masters program there.  

TUESDAY.   I did not go to Life Group this morning.  I texted Cindi about it. I paid some bills.  I called the Y in Westfield and confirmed that they will provide a rollaway bed.   I took pictures of my new scar on my upper lip since the medical glue fell off sometime during last night while I was sleeping.  I sent the pictures to Dr. Lenahan's office, at their request.  I had called a few days ago and asked if she could recommend or prescribe something to put on the "scar" to prevent permanency, and she requested pictures.  I started a load of laundry.  Andrea and I started planning for our Chautauqua trip.  We will all meet at my house at eight thirty and we will each pack a lunch to take with us.  

WEDNESDAY:  Lori called to say she is sick and would not be going to Barker Seniors.  Vicki arrived a few minutes late.  Our guest speaker this morning talked for about three minutes about how people who have Medicaid can get help with home health aide.  Lunch was meatball subs, which were pretty good.  The vegetable was spinach and was awful.  I spent the rest of the day at home, napping, vacuuming and watching television.  I found the movie CHEF which was good in spite of the profanity.  I went through the two boxes of Christa's Christmas items and threw some stuff away and put some in a donation bag, and now it is down to ONE box, taped up with her name on it.  

Yes, those left on the plane were at potential risk.  I am not sure if there was a better solution to the THREAT.  I wouldn't blame Trump, though.  I figure the decision to sneak him out of the plane was made by security people (CIA? whoever).  

THURSDAY:  Andrea, Peg and I met up at FREEDOM and spent over an hour praying for our unsaved and trouble children, their spouses and our grandchildren, etc.  Then I asked Peggy if she wanted to go out to lunch..  She said yes, but that she had to do a few things before she would be free.  So, I grabbed a book out of my car and waited  while she finished up, and then I went to Panera for a drink and then to SUPERCUTS for a haircut.  I was taken right away by CARA, who had the most insane hairdo I have ever seen.  I wish I had been able to take her picture.  She suggested she put clips in my hair and blow dry it, and I guess I felt brave, so I agreed.  I did not like the finished result, but I told her I did, and I suffered with it until I got home.  Peggy was just leaving my house and she took a couple of pictures.   I took a nap and when I got up, I called Vicki and asked if she wanted to go to the library for the performance of the Lockport Community Band.  She agreed and I picked her up.  Marlene met us there.  It was a very good concert, I think they played ALL patriotic music. This is a picture of the band before the performance started. 

I spent the rest of the evening at home, after dropping VIcki off.  

FRIDAY:  Stayed home today except for a short trip to Walgreens to pick up a script.  I swept the dining area, and did a few other jobs around the house.    I called the Chautauqua Institute and obtained ticket for Marlene, Andrea and I to go on a historical bus tour on Tuesday.  I showered and washed my hair in the evening. 

SATURDAY:  in the morning, I put together a macaroni/tuna salad for Peggy's senior event on Sunday.  I picked Julie Diehl up at the First Presbyterian Church and we met up with Andrea at FREEDOM CHURCH and went to Ken-Ton YMCA for the Movers and Makers catered picnic.  I was disappointed that Cindi, Susan and Rita were not there.  From our group, it was me, Peggy, Lori, Andrea, Julie and Brenda.  It wasn't an organized gathering.   Dr. Nik, Sarah and Mary were there.  I thought we might get certificates and the money that we were expecting, but we didn't.  Dr. Nik did mention gift cards, but he also mentioned the amount $30.00. We didn't get them today, but I guess we will get them eventually. There was another group of Movers and Makers there, and that group was large.   What a disappointment, since the paperwork I signed in the beginning said "up to $600".  The meal was pretty good, but not excellent.  There was LOTS of fresh fruit and good cookies from Wegmans, but the pizza was disappointing, and I did not care for my wrap.  Mary came around to our table and asked us what the best part of the experience for each of us was.  I told her that getting to know her, Sarah and Dr. Nik and the other program participants was the best part, but I did like the other parts.I took these pictures:   When it was over, we' headed back to Lockport.  Andrea dropped Julie and I off at Freedom and I drove Julie to her car which was parked behind Lake  I watc Ice Cream.  I walked her to her car, because I wanted to glance at her inspection and registration stickers.  Indeed, they have both expired like she has said many times.  When I got home, I read for a while until I fell asleep for a bit.  Then I watched President Trumps speech yesterday in Nassau County, New York.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DAY EIGHT of Alaskan Cruise: Thursday, September 18, 2025 Skagway

Week of Sunday, August 10th through Saturday, August 16th, 2025 (Recipe for Crazy Crust Pie)

Sunday, February 13th, 2022