THURSDAY, November 17, 2022 Thanksgiving Dinner at the Y etc. and Friday the 18th and Saturday the 18th

THURSDAY:  First thing in the morning, I went to WalMart to get a few items including some PILL POCKETS to put Petra's pills in.  I didn't know they would cost over six dollars!   I took the groceries home and put them away (I had two boxes of lactose free ice cream sandwiches)  I had a phone message from Vicky giving me some good news about Myrna.  Apparently, she was taken to the Lockport hospital first and given a FALSE diagnosis of a fracture in her femur.  She is now in ECMC and no fracture is evident and she is wearing an air cast.  I called both Peggy and Betty to give them the good news. Then I went to Peg's house and took care of Petra.  WOW!!! the fresh Pill Pockets work great!  She has taken her pill three times out of four!  

I went to the Y and walked the track one time (the short way) and then went downstairs for the dinner.  I found Sarah saving a seat for Elaine, at a table for six, so I joined her and saved seats for Jan and Dee.  After we were all settled, I noticed a woman looking for a seat and invited her to join us.  She was happy to do that and immediately introduced herself as Salma (pronounced like Selma).  She told us she came to the USA thirty years ago with her daughter who was four years old then.  Her daughter is schizophrenic and has been in Pakistan for a couple of months visiting friends and relatives.  She expressed concern about how her daughter will do after she and her husband are gone.  I asked if her daughter has a Case Manager and Salma said she does.  Her main concern is that she wants her daughter to live in a place where she will be encouraged to pray three times a day (or whatever number of times Muslims pray).  Dee suggested that we all pray together for her daughter, so we did.  Five Christians and one Muslim!   Salma pointed out that when we pray to God, we are all praying to the same God.    Salma  716 930-6320   Sbultysy33@gmail.com   I emailed her in the evening.

The dinner was delicious, although everything was kind of cold by the time we went through the buffet line.  We all had a very good time, especially getting to know Salma, who was very interested in our lives, how many kids we have, what kind of work we did before retirement.  I think she said she is 62 years old.  She works as a housecleaner and her husband is a server at a restaurant on Bailey Avenue in Buffalo, the restaurant is somehow related to the Amherst Buffet, but I don't understand why even though she explained it. 

    There was an abundance of deserts available.  Particularly interesting and tasty was the three milk cake (I think it is a Mexican specialty) in the upper right, it was really good.  
They were generous with the turkey, but gave out small portions of the other items.
The servers dishing out the food.
Some group pictures (taken of our group), Jan took the two pictures that I am in, and accidentally cut off most of Sarah's head.
Salma, Dee, me, Elaine and part of Sarah.
I took these two pictures of Jan, Dee, Salma, Elaine and Sarah.



After the meal, I went to the GOOD WILL for two purposes.  First to drop off two bags of clothing and shoes that I wanted to donate and second to look for a Christmassy shirt or sweater for the senior's event at the Y in December.  I did not find anything. Then I dropped off a bag of bottles and donated the proceeds to the American Cancer Society.

Early in the evening, Maria from SCENIC EXCURSIONS called and told me the trip to Cleveland this coming Saturday is being cancelled and she will send me a refund check in the mail.  I called Marlene to tell her. 

I started watching ROSEWOOD on Filmrise, but switched over to Spectrum at nine p.m. to watch LAW AND ORDER SVU.  When I turned on Spectrum, I saw that Erie County has a driving ban in effect, which will be re-evaluated tomorrow morning.

FRIDAY:  we had a tiny bit of snow during the night.  In the morning, I got all the ingredients ready to make FESTIVE FRUIT CAKE, a recipe I got from Kay Nenni several years ago.  When everything was ready, I went to Peg's house to take care of Petra.  I cleaned out her litter boxes as well as I could and added new litter to both of them.  I put her pill inside a pill pocket and she took it readily.  I made sure she has plenty of food and water in case I do not make it there tomorrow.   Then I went to SUBWAY and purchased a small tuna sub for my lunch.  When I got home, I mixed up the fruitcake and put two large and two small loaves in the oven, and then I had lunch.  After I took the loaves out of the oven, I felt very weary, so I laid down for a while and I read for a while.  

SATURDAY:  I was still in bed when Betty called, mostly to ask me 

how much snow we got.  I was unable to tell her, and

agreed to let her know when I found out.  There was a

driving ban from early this morning until early tomorrow

morning.  


My plow guy came fairly early, but did a really poor job,

only going down the driveway once.  I called and spoke to

the owner (I think his name is Bob Pagan) and explained 

that I need more than that plowed in order to get out of

the driveway.  I told him I was not going out today, but

will need to get out tomorrow.  I figured he would send

someone back tomorrow, but late afternoon he or someone

came and did a much better job.  My next door neighbor,

John Vetter, cleared my sidewalk with his snowblower.  


I stayed home all day.  I cleaned my stovetop and did a

few other organizing/cleaning tasks in the kitchen.  I

did a load of laundry.  I took a shower and washed my

hair.  I started working on the boxes that I have set

on top of the cedar chest behind the two recliners in

the family room, it was just getting too messy back there 

and I may want to set some Christmas decorations there.


I had planned to make cranberry sauce today using the

new recipe that calls for a cup of real maple syrup, but

I decided it is too soon and that I should wait a few days.


The six p.m. news said we got ten inches of snow, I thought

it looked like more than that.  I think the driving ban must

have been lifted now that the streets are cleared. Phelps

Street is not really cleared all that well. I called Betty

to report on our snowfall amount.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUNDAY, December 11th, 2022 CONNECT CHRISTMAS LUNCHEON

Week of Sunday 9/10 through Saturday 9/16, 2023

Week Starting Sunday February 25th, 2024