Monday April 3, 2023 in Ohio Amish Area (First Full Day)
We had breakfast at our lodging. It was a very nice spread of food including waffles, cereal, banana bread, fresh fruit, bagels and toast, hard boiled eggs and more. I had a banana and oatmeal with raisins and brown sugar and a piece of blueberry/banana bread.
Our first stop of the day was at the Amish-Mennonite Visitors Center. We watched the fifteen minute video about Amish life in the area.
Unfortunately, we were told that BEHALT is closed today and tomorrow, but we can see it Wednesday morning before we leave. This attraction now offers tours of two other buildings, a barn and a one room school.We met up with our tour guide Richard Troyer and a couple who were taking the tour with us.
We were given the opportunity to choose three Amish businesses off of a list. We chose the Amish quilt shop, a harness shop and a basket makers shop in Apple Creek. The basket makers shop is in a building separate from the owners house.
I stepped outside of the basket shop to look around while the others were still shopping. It was a beautiful area.
I purchased some shoelaces in the harness shop.
This buggy shop is across from the harness shop.
It was a three hour tour, and we saw a lot including several schools and a lot of Amish children playing outside. The tour ended at one p.m. at the Behalt. Marlene and I drove back to Mt. Hope to Mrs. Yoder's Kitchen for lunch.
I had the buffet, but Marlene ordered from the menu. The buffet was not as large as I expected, but everything was very good.
Richard had mentioned the EXOTIC WOOD at KEIM's in Charm, so I suggested to Marlene that we go there.
It is a HUGE hardware and home improvement store. We loved the exotic wood
and each bought a very small item. Then we went back to the motel and rested before supper. We were planning on eating at DER DUTCHMAN which was right around the corner from our lodging, but it was closed. We found a small cafe (Cafe Chrysalis) not far from our lodging and had supper there. The menu was very small and I chose a house salad with chicken. It was HUGE and half of it ended up being thrown out.
I called the phone number for ERB'S Museum, but he did not answer. I left a message. We hope to see his COLEMAN MUSEUM in Sugarcreek tomorrow.


















Comments
Post a Comment