August 10 through August 13th: Trip to Fair Haven and Renaissance Faire in Sterling

 Thursday August 10th:  I started getting ready to leave for Fair Haven as soon as I got up, but I was not ready to go until ten thirty a.m. which is when I left.  But I stopped at Rite Aid to get charcoal and batteries for my GPS, so I left Lockport at eleven a.m.  I quickly got on the thruway at Pembroke and stayed on it until I got to Exit 41.  I must have stopped twice and I can't remember what I did for lunch.  After I got off at Exit 41, I drove north on 414 until I got to 104 which turned into 104a, which took me directly to Fair Haven and Screw Louies.  Cottage 3.


  Leslie was already there.  She had her stuff in the small bedroom so I took the bed between the kitchen and that room.  I suggested to her that we go out and do some geocaching.   I asked her to drive, since I had had a much longer drive to Fair Haven than she had.  She agreed.  We went out and found few caches in Hannibal and Red Creek and then decided to find a restaurant.  We found THE COTTAGE INN in Red Creek

and since there were so many cars in the parking lot, we chose it.  I had some sort of chicken (chicken french?) which came with a side of spaghetti and both soup and a green salad. The sauce on the spaghetti was very good.  Leslie had spaghetti and meatballs and took most of it back to Screwy Louies.  We played a game of BANAGRAMS before settling into bed.  

FRIDAY the 11th:  We spent the day geocaching.  Unfortunately for Leslie, she realized that she had already found most of them before. We had a picnic lunch of sandwiches and chips at the park where the Wolcott Falls is, in Wolcott, NY. 

I think our favorite geocache was in the Breezy Pines Pet Cemetery near Cato, NY. We noticed this phone! 
Also, we noticed a sign for a DEACONS SALE at a Presbyterian Church, so we stopped and looked around.  I bought a couple small items and Lesley found one. 

We had a couple of DNF's. When we realized that we had found all of the geocaches on my list, we went to Fair Haven Beach State Park and Leslie set up the game she borrowed from the library. 


After we put the game away, we sat on a picnic table just above the beach and watched the waves for a while. For  supper, back at the cabin, Leslie built a charcoal fire and grilled hot dogs while I set the table and got everything else ready.  We had those with butternut squash and baked beans that I had brought.  We played a couple of games of SEQUENCE, which Leslie won.  I found a podcast by Liz Wheeler to listen to for a bit before I fell asleep.

SATURDAY:  We arrived at the Renaissance Fair right around the opening time:  ten a.m. and bought our tickets.  We had been very concerned about the forecast for rain, and it did rain lightly a couple of times, but only for a couple of minutes.  We had brought bottles of water and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for our lunch and found a picnic table.  We went to several shows, and I took a lot of pictures.  I loved every minute of it, but around three p.m. it seemed to be getting hotter, and I told Leslie that I had had enough and would have to leave after the washerwoman show that we were watching.









  Leslie had the rest of her spaghetti for supper back at the cabin, and I had a hot dog and baked beans.  We took a nice walk down Main Street in Fair Haven.  We stopped at BIG BO'S for ice cream before going back to our cottage.  We played a game of BANANAGRAMS when we got back.

SUNDAY:  we decided to go out for breakfast as our "last hurrah".  We tried the Hardware Store Cafe first, but they were full, so we went to THE VILLAGE GRILL.  It is kind of a self serve place.  I had homemade hash, eggs and toast, and Leslie had pancakes.



  Then we parted ways and headed for home.  I took a bit different route, not going south on 414, but driving a bit further on 104 until I got to Route 14, which I took south.  I stopped to take a picture of an Amish school,

and drove a few back roads, hoping to see some Amish farms, but I didn't. and ended up in Lyons, where I saw this interesting place.
It is now the Peppermint Oil Museum.

  I found 14 again and drove south to the thruway, which I took to Batavia.  I had lunch at the MISS BATAVIA DINER.  I arrived back in Lockport and started putting stuff away.  I needed a brief nap in my recliner.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUNDAY, December 11th, 2022 CONNECT CHRISTMAS LUNCHEON

Week Starting Sunday February 25th, 2024

Week of Sunday, March 17th through Saturday, March 23rd, 2023